Dandruff is a skin problem that usually happens on the scalp that is caused by a fungus accompanied by itching and scaling. Experts generally agree that dandruff comes from an unpleasant and excessive secretion of oil, allergies, and cold temperatures. Most of the people don’t feel good and lose confidence because of dandruff issues. People might become afraid of wearing black as dandruff is visible on shoulders and shirt. People having dandruff skip social events to avoid embarrassment.
Myths about Dandruff
Let’s discuss a few myths about dandruff.
- Dandruff is caused by the overgrowth of a yeast-like fungus known as ‘Malassezia’ that grows on the scalp. The reaction of the scalp to Malassezia varies from person to person, that is the reason why some people have dandruff and others do not have, although Malassezia is present on their scalp.
- Some people believe that the dandruff is caused by dry skin and that is not true. In fact, excess oil on the scalp multiplies more Malassezia, thereby leading to more dandruff.
- Using hair oil makes it better” make sure applying hair oil on scalp invites the fungus that is actually the reason behind it.
- Dandruff is something that is only found on hair/scalp” but in reality, it is found on hands, face, and other parts of the body as well.
- Only grown-ups get dandruff” in fact it affects 42% of all babies and you have more likely a chance to get dandruff at any stage in life.
There are various simple homemade remedies that you can apply to counter dandruff naturally.
Causes of Dandruff
There might be many reasons for dandruff. Here are some possible reasons for this issue. Let’s have a look.
Eating foods that do not have an adequate quantity of vitamin B and zinc. Avoid eating unhealthy foods and stick to Seeds, vegetables, and healthy fats.
If your immune system is weak for some reason, eat more probiotics to make your immune system strong enough to combat the issue. Probiotics are good for your health. It protects against allergies, weight gain, and lower cholesterol levels.
Some people are sensitive to yeast (Malassezia); so they also have higher chances of dandruff. The problem of dandruff gets worsen in winters.
there can be a strong link between stress and skin issues. Walking and meditating are the best ways to maintain stress levels. One should avoid unnecessary mental fatigue and stress as it is really harmful to the mind and body as well.
if somehow hormones are disturbed, they can cause some skin issues like dandruff. Hormones remain stable with your sustainable emotional behavior.
Chemicals can weaken the immune system and cause disease. Certain chemical agents can cause a mild rash or other skin problems. So, avoid using such chemicals.
yeast and other bacteria are often the main causes of skin problems. Yeast sensitive skins can easily be victims of dandruff.
Simple home remedies to get rid of Dandruff
There are some simple home remedies to get rid of dandruff. Let’s discuss this in detail.
1. Try tea Tree Oil
- Over the year tea tree oil has been used to treat ailments ranging from acne to psoriasis. This has been an effective natural way of curing diseases like skin problems and dandruff issue.
- It has proven to have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is antibiotic, antiseptic, and antifungal. Keep in mind that tea tree oils can affect sensitive skin. It can be allergic. So, use it with caution. Mix the tea tree oil with coconut oil before applying directly to the skin.
2. Don’t forget coconut oil.
- Coconut oil is well known for its many health blessings and often used as a natural remedy for dandruff. Coconut oil prevents dryness. It strengthens the hair and gives a new life to them. It is really beneficial for the skin as well & It reduces dryness and dandruff. Coconut oil has microbial properties and it reduces the symptoms of dandruff.
3. Apply Aloe Vera
- Aloe Vera is a natural herb with many health blessings. Aloe Vera oil prevents hair loss, tighten skins tissues. It reduces dryness of skin and provides new life hair eliminating dandruff.
- Aloe Vera has antibacterial and antifungal effects. So, it can help to reduce inflammation, Fungus and consequently dandruff. Aloe Vera is a skin salt (a natural remedy that contains minerals to make your skin soft by restoring dehydration and hence treats dead skin), included in most of the cosmetics, ointments and lotions.
4. Minimize stress levels
- Stress can weaken the immune system, increases blood pressure, inflammation and heart rate, thereby affecting the overall health of a person. Stress itself can’t cause dandruff but it actually can aggravate symptoms. Long term stress can cause weaken immune system. To control stress level, Use Stress management systems, I.e. meditation, Yoga and deep breathing. Mental stress causes hypertension, insomnia and many more damages human health. Further more stress leads to disturbance in hormones and immune system. This disturbed immune system causes Hair fall and dandruff problems.
5. Eat Omega-3s
- Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for your skin health because they reduce inflammation. Taking diets full of omega-3s can help function heart, lungs and immune system. Salmon fish oils are high in Omega-3 fatty acids. You should also add Omega-3 rich foods such as rice, barley, oats, and walnuts in your dietary plans to prevent its deficiency which can cause dandruff.
6. Use baking soda
- Baking soda is found in almost every kitchen and is easily available for dandruff remedy. Baking soda is antifungal and it can help to reduce dandruff. For the best results, mix the moisturizer with baking soda. Leave it for a minute or more than 2 minutes. Then wash your hair as usual.
7. Try aspirin
- Aspirin has salicylic acid that has anti-inflammatory properties, is generally used as a common ingredient in shampoos. Salicylic acid helps to remove dandruff by controlling excessive oil secretion and reducing inflammation on your scalp. So, it’s beneficial to try aspirin.
8. Add apple cider vinegar to your routine
- Apple cider vinegar has many health benefits. It includes weight loss and insulin sensitivity. It has always been used for the treatment of dandruff. The acidity of vinegar helps to shed off dead skin cells on the scalp. It reduces the growth of fungus. You can use apple cider vinegar with your shampoo or directly spray on your hair.
9. Solution for dandruff
- Dandruff is a very common problem and may also be related to hair loss. Therefore, I have been looking for an excellent anti-dandruff shampoo. If someone has oily hair, it’s good to take bath very often. Exposure to sunlight will also add life to your hair.
- Most of the best known shampoo contains ingredients that are harmful for hair. Shampoos can control seborrheic dermatitis but they are unable to cure it. It is best to select some shampoo that has antifungal ingredients. Any shampoo that contains anti dandruff or antifungal ingredients such as salicylic acid, tea tree oil and zinc pylithione are really good to cure dandruff. In spite of these markets available products, you can make your own shampoo at home to overcome dandruff problem. Here is a homemade remedy for hair.
|Pure Water||200 gram|
|Organic Apple Cider Vinegar||200 gram|
|Rosemary||1 small bunch|
|Jojoba Oil||50 gram|
|Peppermint Oil||10 drops only|
- Dip rosemary in boiling water until the water cools, and then remove the rosemary. Mix the ingredients thoroughly in a container of your choice.
- Massage the mixture deep into the scalp, let it absorb for 1-3 minutes, and then wash thoroughly.
- Rosemary has an extraordinary soothing effect and helps to cure dandruff infections. Jojoba oil provides moisture.
- Jojoba oil is very similar to our herbal sebum, so it can protect the scalp even with increased elasticity, thereby reducing the flaky feel and being non-greasy.
- Peppermint is an effective way to fight dandruff because it helps regulate the pH of the scalp. It has a soothing, cooling effect and can irritate the skin.
- Peppermint oil has clinically proved to promote hair growth.
New research on dandruff
According to a survey released, green tea has shown to treat dandruff and psoriasis. Researchers conclude that the unique formula penetrates the waterproof layer of the skin and combats excessive cell growth, oxidative stress, and inflammation.
An observation by European researchers suggests that by adding antifungal ingredients to shampoo may be a new strategy for preventing dandruff.
Will I lose my hair?
Dandruff itself isn’t the reason for hair loss. Although hair loss and dandruff may arise at the same time, there can be no causal relationship between the two situations.
Hair loss occurs over and over in the extreme cases of seborrheic dermatitis. Unlike ordinary inflamed dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis (immoderate dandruff) exacerbates and impacts the face, scalp, or even the whole body. In addition to dandruff, thicker flaking, redness, and oily spots appear.
Do I need a doctor?
Mild dandruff does not require us to visit doctor. If you encounter dandruff despite home remedy then it’s time to see a dermatologist for help. Other situations like dandruff, as well as eczema, psoriasis, or fungal infections, they require specific treatments.
Although dandruff can be an annoying thing, many natural remedies can reduce symptoms and provide us relief from this hair problem.
Using these therapies alone or in combination with over-the-counter medications such as anti-dandruff shampoos can maximize the effectiveness of the treatment.